Sunset Shimmer in Friendship Through the Ages.
|Eyes|| Moderate cyan|
Moderate cyan with black sclera (as a demon)
|Hair|| Vivid crimson with brilliant yellow stripes (Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks)|
Brilliant amaranth with light apple green stripes (Rainbow Rocks encore shorts and Friendship Games)
|Skin|| Light Amber|
Light Brilliant Amber (as a pony)
Brilliant Crimson (as a demon)
Human (in the human world)
Development and designAs a unicorn pony from Equestria, Sunset Shimmer resembles the G3 Earth pony Sunshimmer in pony design and name. She has a light amber coat, red and brilliant yellow mane and tail, and a cutie mark of a red and yellow shimmering sun. Her name follows the same pattern as Twilight Sparkle.An image of human Sunset Shimmer that appears on the back of the Equestria Girls Sunset Shimmer & Twilight Sparkle doll release's packaging was posted online in mid-March 2013.
In early April 2015, Ishi Rudell stated that Sunset Shimmer's phoenix-like appearance at the end of My Past is Not Today was a visual metaphor and that "her hair is lighter... We wanted to tone her color intensity down a bit with the design of her new outfit." In early May 2015, Rudell stated that "Sunset Shimmer's residency has been discussed... Perhaps one day it will be revealed."
Depiction in Equestria Girls
Sunset Shimmer first appears as the main antagonist in My Little Pony Equestria Girls. She steals Princess Twilight Sparkle's element of magic crown and during a tussle with Twilight, the crown is thrown into the Crystal Mirror that acts as a portal to the human world. She then follows the crown shortly after.
Her former teacher, Princess Celestia, reveals that Sunset was a former student of hers who began her studies not long before Twilight did. However, when she didn't get what she desired as quickly as she wanted, she turned cruel and dishonest, eventually abandoning her studies to pursue her own path. In this other world, Sunset has been living as a human and student of Canterlot High for some time. She discovers that Fluttershy found the crown and turned it over to Principal Celestia, much to Sunset's annoyance.
After learning that Twilight will be competing against her for the title of Princess of the Fall Formal, Sunset employs various ways to hinder and humiliate Twilight. She has Snips and Snails record embarrassing videos of Twilight struggling to get used to the human world and releases the videos online, and she doctors photos to frame Twilight for ruining the dance decorations. But Twilight's friends help to counter these ploys by improving Twilight's reputation, and Flash Sentry, Sunset Shimmer's ex-boyfriend, helps prove Twilight's innocence.
At the Fall Formal, when Twilight is named princess and given the crown, Sunset has Snips and Snails kidnap Spike and threatens to destroy the portal to Equestria unless Twilight gives her the crown. Twilight refuses to give the crown up, stating that her being stuck in the human world would be worth stopping Sunset. As Twilight's friends commend her bravery and sacrifice, Sunset snaps and attacks her. Despite Twilight and her friends' efforts, Sunset succeeds in getting the crown and puts it on. Unfortunately the magic from the crown is unstable for anyone, besides Twilight, to wear it. So a dark magic aura from it transforms her into a demon. With her newfound powers, Sunset transforms Snips and Snails into similar-looking minions and brainwashes the other students at the school. She reveals that she never intended to destroy the portal and plans to invade and conquer Equestria with her army of teenagers.
Twilight is able to evoke the powers of the Elements of Harmony when her friends move to protect her from Sunset Shimmer's attack. Temporarily given pony-like characteristics, they use the magic of friendship to defeat Sunset Shimmer and return Snips, Snails, and the rest of the students to normal.
As everyone recovers, a beaten and repentant Sunset is reduced to tears and apologizes to everyone she's hurt. She admits to not knowing anything about friendship, to which Twilight says her friends can teach her. Sunset, Snips, and Snails are later tasked by Vice Principal Luna with rebuilding the part of school they had destroyed during their attack as detention/punishment.
Depiction in Rainbow Rocks
Sunset Shimmer re-appears in My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks, reformed from her villainous ways in the first film. With the exception of the Rainbooms, the rest of Canterlot High bears resentment toward her, and she even resents herself for the actions she'd taken as what she refers to as a "raging she-demon." She even admits to herself and her friends that she never had a romantic interest in Flash Sentry and only dated him to make herself more popular.
When Sunset gives the Dazzlings a tour of the school, she gets a bad vibe from them when Adagio Dazzle gets defensive about her pendant. Her suspicions are later confirmed when the Dazzlings mesmerize the students and faculty with their singing. Using a magical book with her cutie mark on the cover, Sunset sends an SOS to Princess Celestia in Equestria. During Twilight's role as the Rainbooms' lead singer, Sunset acts in a supportive role and keeps an eye on the competition, especially the Dazzlings during the Battle of the Bands. At one point, Sunset confronts the Dazzlings, who try to manipulate her insecurities by pointing out that the Rainbooms were reluctant to allow Sunset into the band.
When the Rainbooms lash out at each other during the final round of the Battle of the Bands, Sunset realizes what the Dazzlings' true intentions are and is able to stop the petty arguing. She even accepts partial blame due to her lack of knowledge on friendship.
When the Dazzlings overpower the Rainbooms during the film's climax, Sunset Shimmer steps up and sings on the band's behalf. Her help not only gives the Rainbooms the strength they need to defeat the Dazzlings, but she also undergoes a half-pony transformation like her friends. Afterward, Sunset joins the band as a singer and guitarist, and she uses her old journal that she communicated with Princess Celestia through to write her friendship reports to Princess Twilight Sparkle.
During Shine Like Rainbows, the rest of the school now accepts Sunset. The Cutie Mark Crusaders walk happily with her after Apple Bloom catches her journal when it falls out of her backpack, and Bulk Biceps helps her get Angel down from a hard-to-reach perch.
Sunset Shimmer sings in the songs Welcome to the Show and Shine Like Rainbows in the film.
Sunset Shimmer is the central focus of the musical short My Past is Not Today, having solo vocals during the titular song. In the song, Sunset sings of how misguided her goals were during the first film and letting go of the past. Likening her reawakening to that of a phoenix, Sunset concludes the song by sprouting fiery magical wings.
Sunset appears throughout the musical short Friendship Through the Ages and has minor vocals during the song. She interacts with the Rainbooms one by one before meeting them in a warm group hug at the end.
Depiction in Friendship Games
Sunset Shimmer appears in My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games, competing in the Friendship Games in the motocross event, along with Rainbow Dash, against Sugarcoat and Indigo Zap. She is tasked with keeping magic out of the event, but she gets worried that she might fail at understanding how magic works in the Human world and that she doesn't have Twilight Sparkle to help her with her task.
When human Twilight's device starts gathering magic from the main characters and releases it under pressure from Principal Cinch, she becomes overwhelmed and corrupted by the power. Sunset uses the device to harness the magic of friendship from her friends to stop Twilight's rampage. In the end, Sunset realizes that she is fully capable of solving her own problems and that she can't always count on someone else to do it for her.
The deleted scenes on the DVD reveal a subplot of the film that was ultimately dropped about Sunset being homesick for her life in Equestria, and considering actually returning.
In this short, Sunset decides to experiment on her friends to see why they pony up whenever they play music. Unfortunately, she finds her results inconclusive, and most of her tests end up with her getting hurt as a result, leading to her fainting at the end.
Throughout the first film, Sunset Shimmer is shown to be self-absorbed, condescending, manipulative, and dishonest. She frequently insults and belittles others and thinks little of it. According to human Fluttershy, Sunset makes life miserable for "anyone who stands in her way." As a result, most of the Canterlot High School student body is afraid of her. She is also not above making threats and blackmail in order to realize her goals.
When Sunset puts on the element of magic, she transforms into a demonic visage of herself. While in this form, she becomes more ruthless, going so far as attempting to dispose of Twilight. After she is defeated, Sunset Shimmer becomes immediately repentant and apologizes for her actions, appearing to renounce her prior dishonest and unkind ways.
In the second film, Sunset Shimmer appears to have completely discarded her old self and starts believing in friendship, being kind toward others and befriending former enemies. She is also deeply repentant for her actions in the first film, referring to her transformed self as a "raging she-demon." However, she suffers from a lack of confidence, keeping silent in situations she feels it isn't her place to speak up and falling prey to the Dazzlings' taunting. During the final battle, she finally overcomes her insecurities and joins the Rainbooms in defeating the Dazzlings, gaining a half-pony form in the process. By the end of Rainbow Rocks, Sunset starts writing friendship reports to Princess Twilight using the book she once used to communicate with Princess Celestia.
In Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine, Sunset displays a considerable level of intelligence, being ahead of her friends and classmates in school and smart enough to develop various computer applications. Her affinity for science and research is also seen in The Science of Magic, where she explains she prefers a hands-on approach to studying magic over "reading ancient books".
In Friendship Games, Sunset briefly regresses to her verbally abusive behavior from the first film, when she angrily berates the human Twilight Sparkle for meddling with forces she doesn't understand and endangering her friends. However, she immediately regrets her harsh words and reaches out to Twilight in friendship by the end of the film.
Hasbro online descriptions
Hasbro.com Equestria Girls description
Sunset Shimmer rules Canterlot high with an iron hoof...uhh hand. There’s no one in the school more feared, manipulative and dishonest than her. And she doesn’t care who she has to intimidate, frighten, or push around to keep it that way. But this year, there’s a new challenger, and Twilight Sparkle might be the one who finally dethrones her.
Hasbro.com Rainbow Rocks description
A loyal friend with a good heart, Sunset Shimmer is always looking out for what’s best for the Rainbooms. She made some mistakes in the past, but now she wants to prove to everyone they can trust her.
Hasbro.com Rainbow Rocks Encore description
Sunset Shimmer is a former bully turned nice. Now she’s ready to mend her friendships and cheer on their band, despite feeling out of place sometimes. Will she ever feel like part of the group? Stay tuned.
Hasbro.com Friendship Games description
Even though Sunset Shimmer is fully integrated into the Equestria Girls group, she still has insecurities about where she belongs, but the rest of the Mane 6 friends consider her to be one of them.
Sunset Shimmer is featured as the main antagonist in the My Little Pony Equestria Girls film screenplay novelization My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Through the Mirror. In chapter 18, "Back to Equestria", "Twilight had noticed Sunset going around the gym, apologizing to several students. Luckily, most of them had no idea what she was talking about because they'd been in a trance during her little fiery tantrum. But it still showed that she wanted to change."
Sunset Shimmer is featured as a protagonist in the My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks film screenplay novelization My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks: The Mane Event. In chapter 20, "Battle of the Bands", her half-pony transformation includes wings.
Sunset Shimmer is featured as the main protagonist in Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine. Wanting to find her place in a world without magic, she decides to become a "magic investigator" and study her friends' pony transformations in great scientific detail. She also helps her friends organize a school fundraiser to raise money for new Wondercolt uniforms.
Only one Sunset Shimmer doll have been released for Equestria Girls in 2013: in a 2-pack with Twilight Sparkle, including an element of magic crown accessory. Sunset Shimmer's description on the back of the release's packaging reads, "Her striking sense of fashion steals a lot of attention!"
Two dolls have been released for Rainbow Rocks in 2014: one in a fashion set with an extra outfit and a "Time to Shine" doll with wings.
And so far only two dolls of Sunset Shimmer will be released for Friendship Games in 2015: one in the Sporty Style set for the Motorcross event and for the School Spirit single.
On the respective front and back of a printed insert bundled in the Barnes & Noble Special Edition of the chapter book My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine, a letter to Sunset Shimmer from Rarity includes some concept art of human Sunset Shimmer wearing herrock star dress and a letter to Rarity from Sunset Shimmer includes a draft of the song My Past is Not Today.
- "Sorry it had to be this way... princess!"
- "You must be new here. I can speak to anyone any way I want."
- "Twilight Sparkle wants to be your Fall Formal Princess. What does it say about our school if we give someone like this... such an important honor?"
- "Spoiler alert: I was bluffing when I said I was going to destroy the portal. I don't want to rule this pathetic little high school; I want Equestria! And with my own little teenage army behind me, I am going to get it!"
- "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't know there was another way."
- "A demon. I turned into a raging she-demon."
- "Must be nice to have everyone always looking to you for answers to the
- "I've changed! I'm in a much better place now!"
- "It wasn't a fit of jealous rage!"
- "I don't think anyone is supposed to have all the answers. But you can count on your friends to help you find them."
- "I also play guitar."
- "Back when I was Princess Celestia's student, I learned best by going out into the field and actually doing something. Studying ancient books is fine for some people, but I like to solve magical mysteries by rolling up my sleeves and getting my hooves — er, hands dirty."
- "Am I the only one who thinks this is overkill?"
- "You're supposed to be so smart, but did you ever think that you shouldn't be messing around with things you don't understand?!"
- "True magic comes from honesty! Loyalty! Laughter! Generosity! Kindness! I understand you, Twilight, and I want to show you the most important magic of all... the magic of friendship!"
- "Take my hand, Twilight. Let me show you there's another way... just like someone once did for me."
- "We pony up when we're showing the truest part of ourselves. I was so busy waiting for someone else to give me the answers that I gave up looking for them myself."
- "Dear Twilight,
- How are things in Equestria? It's been pretty normal here at Canterlot High since you left, which, to be honest, is a welcome change. Things have been so crazy ever since I stole your magic crown and snuck through the portal from Equestria. Believe it or not, I'm glad you followed me back to this strange new world with no magic. With the help of your new friends, you won over the student body and managed to beat me to become Princess of the Fall Formal. Even when the magic in the crown turned me into a powerful demon, you wouldn't back down. It was only after I saw the true Magic of Friendship you and your friends possessed, I realized the error of my ways.
- Little did we know, Star Swirl the Bearded banished the evil sirens to this world ages ago. And once they sensed the magic you released at Canterlot High, they showed up as new students. I could tell right away there was something strange about them, and when almost everyone in the school started turning on each other, the girls and I knew we were gonna need your help. To battle a musical threat like the sirens, we needed a musical counter-spell. I wish you told us you were having trouble writing it. We all just assumed it would be easy for you. The sirens almost managed to tear our friendship apart and use our magic against us, but, fortunately, our friendship was too strong to break. I guess I've learned a lot from you girls, because I finally found my voice and stood next to you fighting the sirens with our song of friendship and acceptance.
- Thankfully, no more villainous plots to take over Canterlot High have popped up. Although, there is still a good bit of magic around the school. I've been conducting some experiments to figure out why it works differently here than it does in Equestria, but, so far, the results are inconclusive. It would be great to talk things through with you before the upcoming Friendship Games. We're competing against the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts, and it's all anyone can talk about lately.
- Write me back when you get a chance.
- Your friend,
- Sunset Shimmer"
- "Dear Twilight,